Applications are reviewed for admission and decisions are released on a rolling basis. Due to space limitations, early applications are encouraged. A total of 30 applicants will be admitted to the first Maker Launchpad cohort. We will evaluate your application on the basis of the overall strength of your academic record, extracurricular experiences, and career goals.
The ideal participant in the Maker Launchpad is an enthusiastic, self-starting individual, who is eager to explore a hands-on approach to design and design thinking. No previous experience is required, but an interest in design is strongly encouraged. We look forward to welcoming incoming students as well as returning students—all ages and backgrounds are welcome.
If English is not the official language spoken in your country and your native language is not English, you must submit official evidence of English language proficiency (TOEFL or the IELTS examination score).
|UC Berkeley Students||Maker Launchpad||Per Unit Charge (6)||Campus Fee||Total*|
|Undergraduates||$4,000||$419 x 6||$385||$6,899*|
|Graduates||$4,000||$523 x 6||$385||$7,523*|
|Non UC Students||Maker Launchpad||Per Unit Charge (6)||Registration Fee||Document Management Fee||International Service Fee||Total*|
|Domestic Visitors||$4,000||$570 x 6||$450||$63||$0||$7,933*|
|International Visitors||$4,000||$570 x 6||$450||$63||$400||$8,333*|
*Additional Fees, determined by current status:
• Document Management Fee (if never attended UC Berkeley before): $63
• Class Pass (if not registered in previous spring semester at UC Berkeley): $48
• Registration in 6 units of academic credit
• Transcript showing academic credit
• Maker Pass access to the Jacobs Makerspace
• Dedicated desk in Jacobs Hall Studio
• Studio mentorship
• Fabrication tools trainings
Graduate School and Career Preparation
• Career workshops and panels
• Career counseling and resources
What’s Not Included?
• Travel to/from Berkeley, California
• Visa fees
• Meals or living expenses
For housing information and resources, please visit the Berkeley Summer Sessions Student Housing site.
Students are expected to have access to personal computing (Mac or PC) capable of operating a range of software tools and sufficient disk storage capacity for studio and course work. While a desktop computer can be a nice workhorse, in-class and in-studio work will demand a laptop. These are tools that your computing hardware should be able to support:
• Adobe Creative Cloud Suite (Note: Access to the Adobe Creative Suite is provided free to all enrolled UC Berkeley MDes students) (requirements)
• 3D modeling software such as Autodesk Fusion 360 (requirements)
Refund and Cancellation Policy
To receive a full refund of all fees, students must cancel their enrollment by June 7, 2022. After that date, the Maker Launchpad Program Fee is non-refundable. For all other Summer Session Fees, the Summer Session policies on refunds apply.
*Figures for tuition and fees represent currently approved amounts and may not be final. Actual tuition and fees are subject to change by the University of California as determined to be necessary or appropriate. Final approved tuition and fee levels may differ from the amounts presented.